Open Source video decoding with V4L2 (Video4Linux2) hardware accelerated video playback in ffmpeg with latest Kodi 18 from master branch. Video4Linux2 support for FFMPEG means fully open source video acceleration can be available for open source distributions on ARM, here shown off decoding video with v4l2m2m (Video4Linux 2 with Memory to Memory) on the Qualcomm DragonBoard 410c, for H264 decode. Other boards with other chipsets that have video decode engines that can support other codecs such as H265, VP9 etc at 4K and etc will then also be able to support that. It means you can upgrade the kernel when you want to what you want, giving you more freedom being less locked to vendor support and if you find a bug you can actually fix it. Filmed at Linaro Connect San Francisco 2017.
This is the Qualcomm Dragonboard 820c running at 4K the Debian user interface, configured in the 96Boards Extended edition with full sized Ethernet port and more.
The Qualcomm DragonBoard 600c features the APQ8064 quad-core Qualcomm Krait chipset, with Adreno A320 GPU, it's in the 96Boards Extended edition form factor with space for Gigabit Ethernet.
This is the Qualcomm 48-core (custom Qualcomm Falkor cores) Centriq 2400 ARM Server reference evaluation board. Featuring 48-cores with 12 DIMM slots of DDR4 RAM memory, dual PCI riser boards for fully customizable setup. At Linaro Connect SFO17, the ARM team is demonstrating an ELK big data demo with ElasticSEarch, Logstash and Kibana for graphic visualization running on Qualcomm Centriq 2400 processor. The Qualcomm Centriq 2400 processor is designed for cloud computing running these microservices in containers seamlessly. There is a 2nd demo of Linuxkit with NGINX running in a container. Both demos use Docker containers running on Ubuntu 16.04.
Here's my view on the LG V30, a quite nice looking phone with Bang and Olufsen high quality DAC audio, FullVision Plastic OLED nearly bezel-less LG Display (see my LG Display video filmed at SID Display Week 2017 featuring LG's Plastic OLED display here), it has a nice fingerprint reader on the back (unlike iPhone X). The price is possibly going to be very high (depending on LG's pricing strategy), something like $699 or $799 maybe.
Sony has launched the same functionality as in the 5.5 Sony Xperia XZ Premium (which I filmed here) but in a more compact 5.2" form factor in the Sony Xperia XZ1 and in a 4.6" form factor in the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact. One new feature is the 3D Creator which uses Sony's stacked image sensor to create a 3D scan of any object or person in front of the camera. The Sony Xperia XZ1 has a 19 MP Motion Eye camera with Super slow motion, 5.2” Full-HD HDR display, IP65/68 water resistant2 design and runs on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Mobile Platform.
TechNexion is a design and manufacturing company showing in this video its engineering team, that designs IoT smart devices, development boards for the needs of projects like the ARM powered Android Things ecosystem by Google or Amazon Alexa Voice-Recognition development platform and its advanced manufacturing capabilities. In the video, we get a direct glimpse of how ARM modules and systems are designed and how much automation is being utilized in a smart SMT factory. The video tour takes you through all production stages from the module design to SMT manufacturing to post production functional testing. The factory churns out up to 250K PCBA per month. Filmed on location at the TechNexion factory in Taipei, Taiwan in June 2017.
Google is Enabling rich and immersive experiences in virtual and augmented reality, presented by Clay Bavor (at Google since 2005), Google Vice President of Virtual Reality where Google works to create an efficient and scalable software platform for rich VR and AR services to be powered by high performance, power-efficient ARM CPUs, GPUs, sensors, and where Google is also working with the Display insutry to bring amazing new ultra high resolution VR and AR displays to the market. As you can see in this video of the keynote, at the SID Display Week, Google announced they are working with Sharp to create ultra-high resolution LCD displays for VR optimized for very low lag time. Google also works to create 20megapixel per eye prototype VR and AR displays, amounting to 2.5x 4K resolution per eye. And Google is working with ARM and other companies to bring foveated rendering technology to not require the 100-150Gbit/s bandwith for VR and AR content once the microdisplays have such high resolution, this method involves using a camera to track where the eye is focusing and render a very high resolution of exactly what you’re looking at while keeping the resolution and detail lower for where you are not looking at directly, and doing all that accurately with minimal lag time.
Synology shows their newest NAS, networking, security and backup products at Computex 2017:
- Diskstation DS418j is a 4 bay network attached storage solution featuring a 1,4ghz realtek 64 bit Dual Core ARM A53 Processor, 1gb of ram, gigabit ethernet, support for 40tb of storage and 16 ip cameras.
- Diskstation DS1817 is an 8 bay network storage solution featuring a Annapurna Al-314 Quad Core 1.7ghz processor, 4 or 8gb of ram, and dual 10 gigabit ethernet ports. There is an expansion unit for an additional 10 drives.
- Diskstation DS718+ is a dual bay network attached storage with gigabit ethernet and a Intel Celeron processor.
- Diskstation DS918+ is a nine bay network attached storage with gigabit ethernet, dual M.2 drives for ssd cache, and an Intel Celeron processor.
- Diskstation DS3018xs is an 6 bay network attached storage solution with a quad core Intel Pentium processor, dual M.2 sdd cache, gigabit ethernet, and 8gb - 32gb of ECC memory.
- Flashstation FS1018 is 12 2.5" bay all-flash NAS solution, with expansion up to 36 drives. The FS1018 features a Dual Core Pentium, gigabit and 10 gigabit ethernet, and ECC memory ranging from 8 - 32gb.
- Network Video Recorder NVR1218 can support point of sale systems as well as up to 12 cameras and records surveillance footage on up to 7 drives.
- Visualstation V960HD is a Surveillance Station with Live View Companion of 96-Channel 720p HD up to 960FPS.
Security Gateway SG1000 is a security gateway for small companies, which is similar to router. The SG1000 features four RJ45 sockets, SD card slot and a USB port for memory extensions.
Synology also had routers which are capable of controlling and waking up their network attached storage solutions.
- Synology provides a lot of software for controlling their NAS solutions and security gateways over their network as well as backing up and recovering data.
- Synology NAS solutions can run Windows Virtual Machines on Intel based NAS devices.
- Synology Mailplus is a private email solution for enterprise to control their email.
Here's the part of the Microsoft keynote at Computex 2017 where they talk about Windows 10 support on Qualcomm Snapdragon 835, announcing that HP, Lenovo and Asus are going to build thin and light ARM Powered Windows 10 devices with built-in e-SIM LTE support.