Here´s to more fun from Freescale, they just unveiled their ARM Cortex-A9 processor platform the i.MX6 series, available in dual-core and quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 cores running at up to 1.2 GHz each, five times the performance of Freescale’s current generation of processors that are used in devices, such as the Amazon Kindle, Ford SYNC, HP Photosmart eStation, etc. Up to 200 million triangles per second 3D performance (like a PS3 in the pocket..).
Freescale is positioning these low power chips for both consumer and automotive applications. Although a primary target is tablets where Freescale has seen significant interest from APAC vendors in using its flexible, low-power embedded solutions to meet the demand in the growing white box tablet market. Freescale processors now power 11 Android-based tablets on the market (but 23 tablets powered by Freescale will be shown at CES) in addition to supplying the processors for three out of the four most popular eReaders sold worldwide.
The product series is comprised of the single-core i.MX 6Solo, dual-core i.MX 6Dual and quad-core i.MX 6Quad processors. Key technical features of the series include:
· Industry-leading four-core design
o Up to four ARM® Cortex™-A9 cores running at up to 1.2 GHz per core
o Up to 1 MB system level 2 cache
o ARMv7, Neon, VFPv3 and Trustzone support
· Multistream-capable HD video engine delivering 1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode and 3D video playback in HD
· Exceptional 3D graphics performance with quad shaders for up to 200 MTPS
· Separate 2D and vertex acceleration engines for uncompromised user interface experiences
· Stereoscopic image sensor support for 3D imaging
· Interconnect: HDMI v1.4 w/ integrated PHY, SD3.0, multiple USB 2.0 ports w/ integrated PHY, Gb Ethernet w/ integrated PHY, SATA-II w/ integrated PHY, PCI-e w/ integrated PHY, MIPI CSI, MIPI DSI, MIPI HSI, and FlexCAN for automotive applications
· Support for the VP8 codec
· Support for one of the broadest ranges of major operating system platforms in the industry
· Optional integration of an ePaper display controller for eReader and similar applications
Look forward to my full video coverage of i.MX6 at CES in the coming days.
- Freescale i.MX 6: up to 1.2GHz quadcore chips for tablets/smartphones (slashgear.com)
- Freescale announces i.MX 6 processor series, wants quad cores in your smartphone (engadget.com)
- Freescale ups ante for tablets, phones with quad-core i.MX 6 (electronista.com)