I predicted it in my article on 18th March, Marvell’s Moby Tablet announcement is the beginning of the new OLPC XO-3 project.
This is great news! It means XO-3 is coming earlier than 2012 as originally planned. It’ll basically start coming as soon as the next generation Marvell Armada 61X processor is ready. Check my video of Marvell Armada 610 and my video of the Marvell Armada 618 to have an idea how impressive this processor is. This means that prototypes of XO-3 could be showcased today and I’m guessing mass manufacturing can start before the end of year.
This also means the 5000+ people at Marvell are now working towards reaching the goals of the OLPC project. Cheaper access to learning, information, web, online entertainment, e-books, worldwide communications, all this is great!
Read the press release: http://www.marvell.com/company/news/press_detail.html?releaseID=1418
Related articles by Zemanta
- OLPC sees bandwagon, hops on with XO tablet based on Marvell Moby design (engadget.com)
- OLPC to use Pixel Qi 3Qi screens (armdevices.net)
- Marvell to kickstart education tablets with One Laptop Per Child (mobile.venturebeat.com)
- OLPC should have an XO-3 prototype ready by the end of the year (engadget.com)
- OLPC XO-3 Dream Tablet May Come True After All [Olpc] (gizmodo.com)