There are some rumors and speculation that Nintendo might unveil Wii2 at E3 in June. Here's what I think Nintendo should do:
1. Sell it for $99 as an ARM Powered set-top-box
2. Use ARM Cortex-A9 Dual-core or Quad-core with future proof 1080p graphics, even support 1080p 3D output.
3. Little integrated storage, but include SD card slot(s) and support USB Host for external hard drive storage.
4. It's a Blu-ray player, but all the games should be downloadable and stored on SD cards or USB hard drives.
5. Nintendo should start unlimited games subscription packages, games are downloaded from the Internet, eventually even use BitTorrent, synchronize also unlimited games onto the Nintendo 3DS and using new official Game Cart for previous Nintendo portable and home consoles. The main problem with this is the disruption of retail stores and the ways they promote the sale of video games. But it's a change Nintendo has to make. $10-$20 per month in a subscription should give unlimited access to all past and future Nintendo games for home and portable consoles.
6. Wii2 should run Google TV software in my opinion, so it also doubles as the best HDTV VOD Set-top-box, so it disrupts regular TV programming, Nintendo can turn everything to on-demand entertainment in the living room.
7. All previous Nintendo games can be updated online, and can receive new online gaming modes.
8. Built-in HD video conferencing, might require additional HD usb webcam.
9. The Wii2 creates a WiFi hotspot to interact automatically with the 3DS/DSi/DS, and includes Bluetooth also for remote controls, including also a bluetooth keyboard and a bluetooth headset.
10. New innovative virtual reality gaming mechanisms, might add Kinect-style 3D cameras, but more likely, new Wii game controllers, new gloves and even detectors on feet for a full virtual reality experience. Maybe they integrate sensors like the Freescale MMA9550L in their new remotes and compact body sensors. Some type of glasses with two IR emitters perhaps as well using this trick.
11. The size should be barely larger than a dual CD case. With Blu-ray player in there, HDMI output (possibly HDMI input/throughput also for full Google TV like features and easy setup), Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0 host ports, new TV sensor ports.
Which ARM chip provider could get that deal with Nintendo to be mass produced into Wii2? Could it be Nvidia's Kal-El, OMAP4440, i.MX6, Marvell's Tri-Core, Qualcomm's Quad-core? What do you think Nintendo should do for the Wii2? Write in the comments..
- Nintendo Wii 2 at E3 hints EA boss (slashgear.com)
- EA dubs Nintendo Wii a 'legacy platform' (go.theregister.com)
- Wii reaches 35 million sales, earns new record (Wii) (gamesradar.com)
- 'Wii's Time Has Passed' - Strategy Analytics (businessinsider.com)
- High Voltage details their hopes for a Wii successor, Wii looking a bit 'haggard' (gonintendo.com)