The Wall Street Journal has an article out talking about the Google X Phone project and its technical challenges. I think that Google Motorola has a lot of work to do. Here are some of the projects that I expect Google to be investing in at Motorola to move Android forward in terms of R&D hardware spending, how Google may be trying to control and influence worldwide components supply for the next months and years of mobile devices development:
1. Dominate worldwide sub-$100 phone market. Target the sub-$200 Android phone market too. Target all world countries, not just rich countries. This is how Motorola "easily" can get to scale and thus get to control smartphones components supply.
2. Design devices that merge Android with Chrome OS and Google TV. That means re-engineer and re-think Motorola's Laptop Dock, Desktop Dock, Entertainment Dock, when you dock Android 5 thus switches to Chrome OS or Google TV depending on what you want on the external display.
3. Design flexible phones using rubber-like and leather-like materials. As soon as flexible screen suppliers are ready (not just Samsung's flexible AMOLED), have designs ready to use the new form factors.
4. E Ink phones, be it like the Motorola Fone released in 2006 with an E Ink display, the new E Ink phones use Android. Can be E Ink only Android phones and Android phones where just the backside is an E Ink display.
5. Integrate DLP pico projector technologies in new phone concepts that project something like a 20" touch-screen display onto any table. Thus design kick-stands, mirrors, lenses that facilitate that.
6. Google Glass, headmounted computing is going to be the new normal next year. Optimize the Motorola headmounted computer to fit every usage, design it so everyone wants to use them.
7. Wearable computing. Android Bluetooth wrist watches, Bluetooth headsets that merge into clothing for voice calls. Make every user feel like they are James Bond.
8. Mass market White Spaces modems and routers, small and low power enough to be included in every new Android smartphone and tablet. Cheap enough so that every ADSL/Cable/Fiber connection install a White Spaces router to quickly cover the whole world with free wireless broadband for everyone.
9. Mass producing Pixel Qi LCD based smartphones, tablets and laptops, for sunlight readablility and to extend battery life significantly.
10. New $100 ARM Powered Tablets for productivity. New $100 ARM Powered Laptops for productivity. Google and Motorola can take over some of the role of the One Laptop Per Child. These new devices are for the worlds children to use to make the world a better place.
- Motorola "X Phone" Rumored As 2013 Android Heavyweight (pocketnow.com)
- Google and Motorola building their own 'X-Phone' according to reports (androidcommunity.com)
- Google and Motorola finally working on "X Phone" and tablet (phonearena.com)
- Google and Motorola working on the "X Phone" to take on Apple and Samsung (mobilesyrup.com)
- Motorola And Google Are Working On An 'X Phone' According To WSJ Rumor That Kind Of States The Obvious (realzahed.wordpress.com)
- Google said to be building powerful "X" phone with Motorola (phandroid.com)
- Google, Motorola plotting a so-called 'X Phone' to take on the iPhone and Galaxy S III (bgr.com)
- Google Prepping "X Phone" To Compete With Apple (valuewalk.com)