HiMedia makes some really cool set-top-boxes, until last year they were doing realtek mips based boxes that are quite popular in China and Hong Kong markets, now they are releasing ARM Powered Android set-top-boxes, here launching the HiMedia Q5 based on the HiSilicon Hi3716C ARM Cortex-A9 solution, it’s a single-core 1Ghz with full video codecs support. This box has an awesome range of features including a very impressive HiControl application, similar to wifi mirroring, it lets you use any Android device to remote control your Q5 set-top-box while seeing a real-time screengrab on your Android device while you remote control it. I’ll post a further video-review of this product during the next couple of days, check back.
Here are some of the specs:
- HiSilicon Hi3716C 1GHZ ARM Cortex A9 single-core (Set-top-box optimized SoC)
- 1GB DDR RAM
- 4GB Flash
- Android 4.0.3 ICS
- 33 second bootup time
- own launcher UI with virtual-mouse support on IR remote
- full video playback compatibility claimed (“even better than last year’s Realtek 1185-based media players”), including DTS-HDMA, Dolby TUREHD 7.1 Passthrough, BDMV, BDISO with BD-Lite Navigation menu, Samba, NFS, HLS/HTML5 for IPTV STB mode.
- HiControl App for Android by HiMedia, use any Android smartphone or/and tablet as Touch-screen for the set-top-box and as a Remote-controller. Thus mouse, remote control, and mirrorring-like support of full Android UI. Accelerometer can also be used for games that use it.
- Hishare App for Android by HiMedia, similar to DLNA (or actually using DLNA protocol), stream your pictures, video, audio from your Android phone or tablet to your Himedia Q5 set-top-box over WiFi.
- Apple Airplay compatible, for streaming pictures, video and audio from iPhone/iPad.
Find more informations and the official pictures at: http://www.himedia-tech.cn/product_show.php?id=37
picture of business card will be added for members here tomorrow.