The Asus Eee Pad Transformer is worlds first Honeycomb laptop, it looks fantastic. Honeycomb is awesome on laptops! This proves it! The Honeycomb web browser is fast! While the Asus Transformer combo might feel a bit heavy, that's also because the keyboard dock includes a full battery, doubling the battery runtime of this Honeycomb laptop to 16 hours of use!
There is talk about a new version of the 24" 1080p Acer monitor, the one that comes with the Freescale i.MX51 processor (see it in the video below), to be released with Chrome OS on it instead of that photoframe type of OS that is on the previously released Acer D241H. See my video from CES showing this Acer D241H and imagine it running Chrome OS as demonstrated by Freescale for the past year in other of my videos.
The simple thing is like this, Acer DX241H could simply come with some USB Host ports to connect USB keyboard and mouse, it could come with the slightly faster i.MX53 processor, possibly more RAM suitable for Chrome OS use, and most importantly, it just might be that we are approaching the point in time when Google is ready to unleash Chrome OS devices, ARM Powered as well, and this type of product could be it.
The key is this, you can add Chrome OS using ARM such as Freescale's ARM Cortex-A8, with WiFi, and all, for just $50 more. The same thing is going to happen with HDTVs, you will be able to add Google TV to those as well using ARM for just less than $50 more.
At Mobile World Congress, CUPP was showing some Macbook laptops with a switch that I guess puts OSX in sleep mode and switches over the the ARM SoC platform and Android or Ubuntu on ARM and using the same screen, keyboard and mouse for that.
This video was posted at: JKKmobile.com
- CUPP crams ARM inside of a MacBook Pro, makes it run Android with a button press (video) (engadget.com)
ARM is demonstrating Dual-core usage and how it increases web browsing speed at same power consumption.
Asus made this Tegra2 Powered Laptop and Tablet combo device, where the tablet part can slide out of the bottom keyboard part. This prototype feels heavy though, perhaps it's just because it's a very metallic design.
- ASUS Transformer Android Tablet (android-tablet.org)
- Toshiba Announces Tegra 2-Powered Honeycomb Tablet, Lets Its Name Remain A Mystery (androidpolice.com)
- ASUS Eee Transformer Android Honeycomb tablet with keyboard dock looks impressive (intomobile.com)
Interesting slider design by Asus, to add a keyboard behind the tablet.
- ASUS tablet lineup preview: Slider, Transformer, MeMO, and Slate EP121 go wild (engadget.com)
- Asus Eee Pad: what you need to know (techradar.com)
- The Many Faces of Asus's Android Tablets [Asus] (gizmodo.com)
According to Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Holt and according to a source reported by BusinessInsider.com, Microsoft is investing very heavily on accelerating their support of Windows for ARM Powered devices, targeting a release of full Windows 8 Tablets before Christmas even. This could be closer than what some people think.
At CES last month, Microsoft showed Windows 8 at their keynote (using "existing" UI) running on current Texas Instruments OMAP4430, Qualcomm Dual-core MSM8660 and Nvidia Tegra2. For sure, Windows 8 could use the next gen ARM Processors coming out later in the year even better for full performance, such as the TI OMAP4440, Qualcomm Quad-core and Nvidia Tegra3 Kal-el, all coming out in consumer devices on the market before the end of the year already.
Nvidia Kal-el is now sampling, demonstrated here at Mobile World Congress 2011, to be in commercial products already in August this year. Nvidia goes on showing the first Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 sample, getting those samples to their partners and planning for commercial launch by August this year already. This is impressive stuff, web browsing speed is doubled.
- Nvidia pledges to get quad-core mobile chip out fastest (venturebeat.com)
- NVIDIA Reveals Project "Kal-El" Quad Core Super Chip - A Future of Astronomical Speed (androidcommunity.com)
- Nvidia confirms quad-core Tegra 3 chip in tablets by August (geek.com)
- Nvidia Demos 'Kal-El' Quad-Core Tegra Mobile CPU (hardware.slashdot.org)
- NVIDIA announces quad-core Kal-El SOC, promises it in tablets by August (engadget.com)
- NVIDIA Unveils Project Kal-El Quad Core Super Chip (slashgear.com)
Freescale announced their ARM Cortex-A9 Dual-Core and Quad-Core processor platform. Here´s an interview with Freescale about their performance and features.