At CES 2014, I interviewed John LeMoncheck, President and CEO of Cambrios, in their suite. Cambrios’ silver nanowire material brand named ClearOhm® is doing extremely well in the market, they are replacing ITO in touch screens. Since the last time I spoke to Cambrios at Ceatec, they have announced more design wins for mobile phones, tablets, AIO and monitors. Cambrios recently announced partnership with 3M and prior to that they had announced a joint venture with TPK (world’s largest touch screen maker) and Nissha. At the suite, they also demonstrated products from Lenovo, 3M, UniDisplay, LG, Karbonn, eTurbotouch, NEC, Nissha and others. They also showed silver nanowire coated film rolls from Hitachi and Okura. Clearly they are winning business in touch, they just announced that they have tripled their manufacturing capacity, their customers like 3M, TPK have a lot of capacity as well. John also mentioned that they are enabling wearable devices, flexible OLED, solar cells and 3D TV.
Blog on ARM Powered® devices
Early Video ($50/yr)
Become Member Login
Category: Exclusive videos
Here’s the latest high-end phone from Meizu, using the Samsung Exynos5410 Octa Core ARM Cortex-A15/A7, the 5.1″ Full HD display is made by Sharp, Bose audio and the camera is the best available from Sony. 2GB RAM. Meizu has 600 retail stores all over China, selling through operators, online and through retail chains. Meizu will come with MX4G and at least one other new flagship device during this year, Meizu sells millions of their phones in China each year, now expanding towards the worldwide market.
You can find out more on Meizu’s website: http://en.meizu.com/products/mx3-product.html
- Meizu MX3 With octa- core SoC Soon In Europe! (mono-live.com)
- Meizu to announce its plans for Europe at MWC (phonearena.com)
- Ubuntu OS Meizu MX3 Teased In Official Photos (geeky-gadgets.com)
- Meizu To Share European Expansion Details At MWC 2014 (ubergizmo.com)
- Meizu shows up at CES 2014 with a promise of a simpler smartphone experience (androidcommunity.com)
- Meizu’s latest news implies 3 versions of the Meizu MX4G! (gizchina.com)
Allwinner launches A80 Octa Core ARM Cortex-A15 with ARM Cortex-A7 in big.LITTLE MP OctaCore configuration with the PowerVR6 series GPU with OpenGL 3.0 with GPU Compute. With potential support for Chrome OS, ultra-fast Ubuntu, advanced ARM projects to use extreme parallel processing. Allwinner is shipping these boards in Q1 2014, if anyone is interested to start developing with A80, they should contact Allwinner here (please tell them you saw this video)
- A80 OptimusBoard Features AllWinner Octa-Core big.LITTLE SoC (cnx-software.com)
- Allwinner A80 Optimus Board (liliputing.com)
- Allwinner A80 Optimus Board With Octa-core Processor Unveiled (geeky-gadgets.com)
- Allwinner Introduces The A80 Optimus Board, Comes With Octa-Core CPU (thedroidguy.com)
- Allwinner unveils octa-core A80 equipped Optimus Board (gizchina.com)
Russian YouTube channel Droider.Ru features my Onyx E43 E Ink Android Phone. $100, 2-weeks battery life, fully sunlight readable, hopefully it will soon be available!
Marvell Video R&D Software Architecture Team Leader Gaurav Arora talks about how Marvell and Google deliver the ARM Powered Google TV, now renamed Android TV on the dual-core Marvell Armada 1500-Plus, how the extremely popular and successful Chromecast runs on the single-core Marvell Armada 1500-Mini. Marvell also shows their new quad-core Marvell Armada 1500 Pro HD to be released in devices Q2 2014 running Android TV. Google is bringing the TV into the mainline ARM Powered Android releases, that is why they now brand it Android TV. The app package included on Android TV is called the Android TV GMS Package, includes apps like YouTube, Amazon, Hulu, Netflix and everything else optimized for the TV. The apps are designed for a 10-foot experience remote control user interface.
After showing how the Smart Home is going to be done by the industry, Archos introduces simple and cheap smartwatch systems, all are Bluetooth and the basic idea is you pair it with your Android or iOS phone, you install the Archos Smartwatch management app on your phone to select which notifications you want to vibrate and alert you on your Smartwatch. That’s nearly about it. The E Ink and memory LCD units last for 1-2 weeks on a battery while the touchscreen backlit LCD unit lasts 2-3 days on its battery. They charge with a dock which you can have next to your bed. The idea is for the Smartwatch to be a companion to your big-ass phone in your pocket, thus mainly everything is about Archos Smartwatches putting Smart notifications on your wrist.
- Hands-on with the Archos Smartwatch family (liliputing.com)
- Archos unleashes bargain-priced smartwatches starting at $50 (dvice.com)
- Archos to release budget smartwatches (mazumamobile.com)
- The $50 smartwatch will be here by the summer, says Archos (9to5google.com)
- Archos’ E Ink SmartWatch looks like a Pebble with a facelift (digitaltrends.com)
- Hands on with the ARCHOS smartwatches at CES 2014 (otroandroidblog.wordpress.com)
Chipsip Technology at the Rockchip booth at CES 2014 presents their PCB Design using the ultra low power dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 Rockchip RK3168 SoC using POP Memory in a form factor that can fit in a Google Glass type of device, Rockchip powered. This means SoC, RAM and Flash all occupy the same space as the SoC alone, the rest of the PCB being for a few more things like Bluetooth/WiFi, sensors, power management and a few more. This design thus can fit in a headmounted Android computer configuration, display the Android UI in the heads-up display, here using the the same HIMIX display that Google uses in Google Glass. Taiwan based ChipSiP Technology is a PCB Design house who designs Rockchip based PCBs and products, they are also working to integrate the Rockchip RK3188 in this type of Google Glass like form factor. The price of end-units all depends on the volume of mass production, it would be expensive if volume remains low, but the price can come down to much lower if these designs are quickly mass produced.
Here is ChipSiP’s contact informations (please only contact them if you are a serious bulk purchasing potential customer):
ChipSIP Technology Co Ltd
Jay Hsu, Assistant Manager, Logic SiP Division, Project Control and Management
Telephone: +886 988 867 129
Tour of the E Ink CES 2014 booth, featuring all the latest coolest E Ink devices on the market and prototypes. The E Ink device that I think is the “Best of CES” is the 13.3″ Sony DPT-S1, the biggest and the lightest ultra-readable 13.3″ touch device in the world (currently only released in limited few-thousand unit trials in Japan) uses the 13.3″ 1200×1600 Mobius E Ink display with protective film instead of glass for it to be ultra-thin at 6.8mm and weigh only 358grams and to also offer a better stylus experience. Aloso featuring the latest E Ink for Smartwatches, thus keeping the display always on, which is important for a Smartwatch. Featuring new giant E Ink clocks to put on walls, E Ink signage displays, the latest E Ink e-readers on the market and more.
Archos presents sub-$200 4G LTE phones, running on the new Qualcomm MSM8926 with 150mbitps LTE support, 1GB RAM, Android 4.4 coming, the display is 5″ 1280x720p for the $249/229€ Archos 50 Helium and 4.5″ 854×480 on the $199/199€ Archos 45 Helium. Both to be released next month. This is attractive in countries where you can get 4G contracts at sub $20/20€ per month, and even have those sometimes included for free on the ISP home broadband contract, people doing pre-paid instead of 2-year contracts want cheap affordable phones like these to include LTE, and Archos sells some for as low as $99/99€ with their 3G-only MT6572 based Archos 40 Titanium.
- Archos introduces Helium 4G smartphones for $200 and up (liliputing.com)
- Archos unveils the 50 Helium and 45 Helium smartphones (technutty.co.uk)
- Archos Announces the 45 and 50 Helium 4G LTE Smartphones Ahead of CES (androidheadlines.com)
- 45 and 50 Helium 4G New Android Smartphones with LTE From Archos (mono-live.com)
- Archos 45 and 50 Helium official: off-contract and quad-core (slashgear.com)
- Archos 45 and 50 Helium smartphones coming with LTE (androidcommunity.com)
- Archos Prepping Unlocked Android Smartphone Under $200 (tomshardware.com)
- Spec Sheet: Sony, Lenovo, and Archos’ budget smartphone battle (theverge.com)
- Archos Helium 4G Smartphones at CES (geeknewscentral.com)
- Archos outs 45 and 50 Helium 4G LTE smartphones (digitalspy.co.uk)