Interchangeable into different back-cases and front-cases for a range of phones, OAXIS presents their InkCase Lite that gets its data from any smartphone over Bluetooth. OAXIS develops an SDK for Android apps to send data from the main LCD or AMOLED display to the secondary OAXIS E Ink display. You can for example read the web articles on your Smartphone’s E Ink back-cover, read an E-book on the E Ink, read your RSS feeds on E Ink and more.
Blog on ARM Powered® devices
Early Video ($50/yr)
Become Member Login
Yota Devices shows their next generation YotaPhone 2 with the Snapdragon 800 LTE and a 5″ AMOLED screen and a 960×540 curved touch-screen E Ink display covering the back case. They upgrade their YotaPhone SDK to enable Android apps to send data to the back-screen with one touch. Battery life when using the backside only can be measured in days and sunlight readability is full.
Mark Powell, Executive Director of the Bluetooth Special Interest Group, answers my questions on Bluetooth LE (also known as BLE, also known as Bluetooth 4.0 and 4.1). Bluetooth Smart is Bluetooth LE with an application framework making it easy for applications developers to add support for the more advanced Bluetooth features. Bluetooth.com says it as “Bluetooth Smart products represent a quantum leap for Bluetooth technology, allowing billions of previously disconnected devices to join the connected world.” at http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Bluetooth-Smart-Devices.aspx
This summer, Archos will release this Touchscreen E Ink Smartwatch, running an E Ink optimized UI to display your smart notifications through the upcoming Archos Smartwatch App for Bluetooth 4/3 Smartphones on Android and iOS. Sunlight readability, always-on and battery life should be great. Archos also will release their non-touch E Ink Smartwatch for $129 a couple or so months before this one.
Cavium talks about and shows their latest enterprise, data center, wired and wireless networking OCTEON and OCTEON Fusion SoCs based on ARMv8 64bit and MIPS, making customized optimized core designs for each in use for cloud servers and base stations among other. CAVIUM claims that their ARMv8 64bit enterprise/server design, due to be released later this year, provides more performance at lower power consumption than Intel´s x86.
Qualcomm presents their latest ARM 64bit ARMv8 Snadragon 610 and 615 based on the ARM Cortex-A53 quad and octa core. These new include the Qualcomm Gobi 9X30’s LTE Advanced Category 6 capability with up to 300Mbps 4G LTE modem, 3G HSPA+, CDMA, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi all in one chip. Enhanced ISP for imaging and camcorder quality and Adreno 405. Qualcomm Snapdragon 610 and 615 are pin compatible with the cheaper 64bit Snapdragon 410 enabling faster time to market. Qualcomm also shows their upcoming Snapdragon 805 with amazingly fast 4K video upscaling, 4K video gaming.
As I have been Google+’ing for the past 3-4 years, this is it, Nokia is finally releasing their low cost ultra nice Android phone. Selling worldwide starting today for around 89€. This is totally amazing and congratulations to the Nokia team for an awesome first step in the right direction!!
I would also like to see a few more improvements to this:
– Nokia Home be a home replacement on Google Play (to turn any other Android device into a Nokia Home Experience device (including switching over to Nokia Store, Nokia Maps and everything else that ships with a Nokia X)
– Bring Windows Phone apps to Android. Tweak the Android AOSP software to add Windows Phone apps support. (same in the other direction, support Android apps on Windows Phone platform).
– Announce that Nokia and Microsoft would not be against Google authorizing them to pre-install and support the official installation of Google Apps like Google Play, Google Maps, Gmail, and etc. If Google won’t allow it, simply put public pressure so that media forces Google to open up how their Google Apps may or may not ship with modified Android devices. I think every device must be able to ship with any app and I think multiple app stores on a device is the best way.
– Nokia Store should include unlimited free apps for a very low monthly subscription price. Something like $5/month for unlimited games and apps. Start signing up as many paid app/games developers and of course include all the free ones anyway. Subscribers can have advertising disabled on ad-supported apps. For developing countries the monthly cost can be much lower, perhaps even for free in certain countries where the GDP per capita is very low. App/games developers can for example agree that their apps and games are to be free in certain regions of the world where people don’t make a lot of salary.
Bao’an is an area where many of the tablet factories and PCB design houses are, here you can see what the locals like to do on the streets at night.
Here are the cheapest yet 4K displays for sale all over China, now being exported worldwide either under the Konka brand or under third party brands. They sell about 30K 4K displays per month at the moment and mass production of these are ramping up. Those all support HDMI 2 60fps by default. Konka uses the LG and Samsung 4K panels, so the quality is the same in terms of the panel, the CPU and 4K engine is different generating and upscaling perhaps different 4K quality yet, they use for example MStar 4K engine with among other things 4K HEVC decode support.
Panasonic announces their upcoming 4K mirrorless camera, successor to the GH3 (which is being used to film all videos on http://ARMdevices.net in the past year since CES 2013), it’ll use a new ultra fast SD Card system to record 4K video at up to 200mbit per second.
- Panasonic Brings 4K to Mirrorless Cameras (mashable.com)
- Panasonic Lumix GH4 Priced At €1,499 On Dutch Retailer’s Website (ubergizmo.com)
- Panasonic to debut 4k GH4 camera CSC at Photography Show (technewsworlds.wordpress.com)
- Panasonic GH 4K Coming Late February with a $2,000 (or Less) Price Tag (news.softpedia.com)
- Panasonic’s Upcoming GH Mirrorless Camera Will Have 4K Video Recording (ubergizmo.com)
- CES 2014: Here’s What Panasonic Lumix GH 4K Looks Like (news.softpedia.com)
- Panasonic’s DMC-GH4 is first interchangeable lens mirrorless camera to shoot 4K video (gizmag.com)